Fr. Michael Zembrzuski, a Pauline Father, came to the United States, bringing with himself a faithful copy of the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa (blessed by Pope St John XXIII ), hoping to establish an American Shrine to Our Lady of Czestochowa, similar to the one in Poland.
Father Michael was granted permission from the Holy See and Cardinal O’Hara of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia to establish a monastery and shrine on the land, which he previously purchased in Doylestown, PA.
On June 26th, 1955, a small wooden, barn chapel has been dedicated to Our Lady of Czestochowa with the celebration of the first Mass, thus marking the beginning of the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa in Doylestown, PA. The dedication of the first chapel created a new center of Marian devotion and a place of pilgrimage. Many pilgrim groups started coming to this little Shrine. The first pilgrimage ever recorded came from St. Laurentius parish in Philadelphia on June 26, 1955 for the dedication ceremony of the barn chapel.